The original structure of the George R. Letourneau Home Museum was located at 261 North Main Street in Bourbonnais and served as the first post office of "Bulbonnus Grove".
Letourneau and his wife, Elodie, purchased the home in 1852 and made several renovations and additions to accommodate the six daughters, five sons and one grandson they raised there.
In 1986, the house was considered for demolition as a firefighter's training exercise. Due to the efforts of the Bourbonnais Grove Historical Society, it was moved to its present location, 698 Stratford Drive East, Bourbonnais, Illinois, on June 20, 1986 and was restored.
The home was placed on the State Historic Landmark Registry in 2011.
Today the Letourneau home contains many artifacts from Bourbonnais' past, as well as a lending library of historical books and DVDs. The home is maintained by the Bourbonnais Grove Historical Society and is open to the public on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month, March - December, or by appointment.
A self-guided tour of the house and gardens is available for download
Copyright © 2021 Bourbonnais Grove Historical Society
All Rights Reserved.
P.O. Box 311